Thank you to the 52 companies that participated in this survey!
1. New Year’s 2019 (Tuesday, January 1)
- Tuesday, January 1 only (63%)
- Monday, December 31 & Tuesday, January 1 (31%)
- 1/2 day Monday, December 31 & all day Tuesday, January 1 (6%)
2. Martin Luther King Day
- Monday, January 21 (27%)
3. President’s Day
- Monday, February 18 (10%)
4. Good Friday (Easter is Sunday, April 21)
- Friday, April 19 (full day) (17%)
- Friday, April 19 (half-day) (4%)
5. Memorial Day
- Monday, May 27 (96%)
6. Independence Day (July 4)
- Thursday, July 4 only (90%)
- Thursday, July 4 & Friday, July 5 (10%)
7. Labor Day
- Monday, September 2 (94%)
8. Columbus Day
- Monday, October 14 (3%)
9. Veteran’s Day (Monday, November 11)
- Monday, November 11 (10%)
10. Thanksgiving (Thursday, November 28)
- Thursday, November 28 only (19%)
- Thursday November 28 & Friday November 29 (79%)
11. Christmas (Wednesday, December 25)
- Wednesday, December 25 only (40%)
- Tuesday, December 24 & Wednesday, December 25 (40%)
- Other (please specify) (19%)
• Monday through Wednesday
• Monday December 24, 2018 through Tuesday January 1, 2019
• Employees have the opportunity to bank extra hours worked so that they can be off the entire week of Christmas
• December 18-31
• 1/2 Day Tuesday 24 & Full Day Wednesday, December 25 (4 responses)
• Entire week of Dec 23-27
• December 25-Jan 1
12. Plant Shutdown
- Mid-Year (0%)
- Year-End (12%)
13. Floating Holidays
- 1 day (19%)
- 2 days (12%)
- 3 days (0%)
- More than 3 days (4%)
14. Miscellaneous – Please list other holidays (e.g., employee’s birthday, Rosh Hashanah, etc.) observed by your company.
- Employee Birthday (4 responses)
- Boxing day
- Individuals take off for personal time their religious holidays.
- We have 1 day built in to our PTO plan for BD after an associate has completed 5 years of service
- We typically also give an additional company-paid holiday during our year-end office closure. This is determined based on company performance for the year.
- Employee’s birthday, except for fire bargaining unit, they get Easter
15. What is your method of compensating exempt employees who work on a holiday?
- Day’s pay + regular pay (8%)
- Day’s pay + time-and-a-half for actual hours worked (2%)
- Day’s pay + double-time for actual hours worked (0%)
- Comp-time (19%)
- Do not offer special pay for holidays (50%)
• Provide a day off to be used later in teh calendar year. If the holiday is late in the year, then we allow a floating holiday to carry over into the next year.
• May take the holiday a different day.
• Day of Pay + Stipend
• We leverage PTO for all time off (Holidays, Vacation time and Sick Time), therefore exempt and non-exempt employees do not use PTO if they work a holiday.
• We do not work on a Holiday
• Employees do not work holidays; office shuts down (2 responses)
• Try to float the holiday for them
• Do not work on holidays
16. What is your method of compensating non-exempt employees who work on a holiday?
- Day’s pay + regular pay (38%)
- Day’s pay + time-and-a-half for actual hours worked (21%)
- Day’s pay + double-time for actual hours worked (4%)
- Comp-time (0%)
- Do not offer special pay for holidays (13%)
• They may have another day off to be used in calendar year. If they holiday they work is later in the year, we allow a floating holiday to carry over into the first quarter of the new year.
• Days pay plus they can take the holiday a different day
• Depends on union contract language
• Time and half for all hours worked (3 responses).
• Employees do not work holidays; office shuts down
• General employees in addition to the 8 hours of holiday pay, a full-time employee who is required to work on the holiday will be compensated for up to eight hours at one and one-half times their hrly rate.
EAF responds to hundreds of hotline calls and emails monthly. We would be happy to answer any interesting questions you may have too! Contacts us at [email protected] or 407.260.6556
Ready to Join? CLICK HERE to Join now and receive 10% off NEW Member Dues!
Use PROMO CODE: EAF2018 on your Member Application (cannot be used with other special offers).
Follow EAF on Social Media!